A Terrific Session for Animals in Maryland!!
Here are the bills that passed in 2016 and will be making their way onto Governor Hogan’s desk:
- Dog Fighting Implements SB 283 – Closes a loophole in Maryland’s dog fighting statute by making possession of these implements with intent to engage in dog fighting a crime in Maryland.
- Puppy Mills HB 1113- Places restrictions on the sources of puppies to pet stores from puppy mills that have violations under the Federal Animal Welfare Act or are unlicensed and bans the sales of cats and dogs at roadside sales and flea markets.
- Animal Shelters Standards Act of 2016 HB 494 – Requires written veterinary protocols by Maryland shelters and disclosure of their procedures regarding admission, disposition, and redemption of animals.
- Pollinator Protection Act of 2016 HB 211-Imposes a partial ban on consumer use of neonicotinoids, pesticides which have been shown to be harmful to honeybees, with exceptions for certain groups who have been trained to use the pesticides such as farmers and veterinarians.
- Dispensing Compound Preparations for Use by Companion Animals SB 614- Allows a veterinarians to dispense a non-sterile medication for a companion animal when a compounding pharmacy and/or medications are unavailable.
- Poaching Restitution Act of 2016- SB 266/HB 410- Requires individuals convicted of poaching deer on private land to pay the State of Maryland restitution.
- Microchip Scans of Stray Cats and Dogs HB 46- Requires that animal control facilities scan incoming stray animals for a microchip and make reasonable efforts to notify the owners if a chip is found.
Thank you for helping to make Maryland a more compassionate state for animals!
Maryland Votes For Animals depends on support from animal advocates like you to improve the lives of Maryland’s animals. Please make a donation today!
Note: Contributions to MVFA do not qualify as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.